Sovereign Alarms Limited take Health & Safety serious, this is why we committee to CHAS (Construction Health & Safety Assessment Scheme
About CHAS – Construction Health & Safety Assessment Scheme
Principles and Purpose
Each month thousands of contractors and consultants (suppliers) apply for work with public and private sector organisations (buyers). To win work, they must meet the buyer’s health and safety standards.
Assessing suppliers health and safety competence is usually a lengthy and time consuming process. Suppliers can sometimes meet one buyer’s Health and Safety standards but not another. Being CHAS approved reduces duplication as suppliers compliance is accepted by all CHAS buyers.
CHAS assesses applicants:
- Health & Safety policy statement
- Their organisation for health and safety
- Their specific health and safety arrangements to a standard to our buyers and to others
In 1997 a group of health and safety and procurement professionals from across Great Britain worked with the Association of London Government (ALG) to develop CHAS. In 2001 CHAS became a web-based system.
CHAS started with two main aims.
- To improve health and safety standards across Great Britain.
- To reduce duplicated safety applications for both suppliers and buyers.
These days we have more than 500 public and private sector buyer organisations, such as councils, housing associations, NHS trusts, including a growing number of large private companies who employ sub-contractors.