Responsible person checks
Extinguisher visual inspections by responsible persons
The responsible person should carry out visual inspections of all extinguishers on a regularly. These visual inspections should be carried out at least monthly. When circumstances require, inspections should be carried out more frequently.
When carrying out these visual inspections, it should be ensured that:
- each extinguisher is correctly located in designated place;
- each extinguisher is unobstructed and visible;
- the operating instructions of each extinguisher are clean and legible and face outwards;
- each extinguisher has not been operated and is not obviously damaged or has any missing parts;
- the reading of any pressure gauge or indicator fitted to an extinguisher is within operating and safety limits;
- the seals and tamper indicators of each extinguisher are not broken or missing;
The responsible person should record the results of these visual inspections and arrange for corrective action, where necessary, by a competent person. In the event of doubt, the responsible person should arrange for a competent person to examine the extinguisher.